Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

is a digraph that is read より. Where does it originate from?

Is it a ligature, like & <- et, or German ß <- ss (well, ſs)? (Wikipedia claims this, citing no source.) Also, if it is a ligature, what did the ligation process look like (e.g. what are the intermediate forms between より and )?

Alternatively, could it be a derivative of or another kanj? (Another non-authoritative source which I have now lost track of claims this.)

share|improve this question

I think it's quite clearly a ligature of よ and り – don't forget that this is from the period when Japanese was written vertically. –  Zhen Lin Aug 30 '13 at 22:27
BTW, よ is derived from 与 and り from 利. This is general knowledge, so I don't have a source, though :( –  execjosh Aug 31 '13 at 2:28

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

There are quite a few old (17th century) letters on this page which clearly use the digraph ゟ as ligature of よ and り (see picture, third character from bottom of fifth line from left: 家来之者方ゟ可申). As Zhen Lin points out, it is not too far a stretch of your imagination that ゟ comes from joining よ and り in vertical writing. All that is really lost is the loop of the よ.

ゟ

share|improve this answer

Could you point out where ゟ appears on that page? I'm not very good at reading calligraphic Japanese. –  senshin Aug 31 '13 at 2:29
@senshin: It is third character from the bottom of the fifth line from the left. 家来之者方ゟ可申 –  execjosh Aug 31 '13 at 5:44

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.