Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I cannot understand what is 自分でも無様なくらいに means in the following sentence. I'd translate it like - "I felt so akward, that my voice trembled"

自分でも無様なくらいに声が震えていた

Thank you very much for help!

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 3 down vote accepted

There's no need to connect でも~くらい into one construction. Rather you're looking at [自分でも][無様なくらいに][声が震えてきた]

So if you break that down it's just basically [even me][to an unsightly (or whatever you want to translate it as) degree][voice started trembling]

Note that it is 無様+な+くらい, so it's using くらい as amount/degree and using 無様 as a simple na-adjective to describe the extent.

The translation that you offered is slightly off. 無様 refers to how the trembling voice made the speaker look, not to what caused the trembling in the first place. So it would be closer to something like "Even my voice started trembling awkwardly," to use your choice of awkward.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.