Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

How Do You Say "I read it wrong" in Japanese?

Is there such a word like 読み間違え or something like that in Japanese?


share|improve this question
up vote 5 down vote accepted


The word for it is 読み間違える, as you hinted at. Some other words that seem to be more limited to metaphorical instances of reading people or situations include 読{よ}み誤{あやま}る ("misread the political picture" 政治情勢を読み誤る) as well as 見誤{みあやま}る ("misread a signal," or 合図[信号・サイン]を見誤る)

These examples and others can be seen here.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.