Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

あなたにいつもおせわになってますからね.

What does the above sentence mean?

I'm confused about the おせわになってます part.

share|improve this question
What don't you understand about it? Is it the vocabulary or the grammar or something else? Have you tried to find the answer anywhere else? –  ssb Aug 27 '13 at 11:17

@ssb: It's the meaning that I don't understand. I think it means something in the line of "because i'm always taking care of you" but i'm not sure. –  mkab Aug 27 '13 at 11:21
Since you have a specific question in your question body, a more descriptive title would be in order. –  Earthliŋ Aug 27 '13 at 16:20

Why the downvotes? –  istrasci Nov 11 '13 at 1:42
add comment

1 Answer

「あなたにいつもお世話になっていますからね」 means "It's because I'm always {indebting myself to you|being taken care of by you}, isn't it".

The "isn't it" part corresponds to ね, a detail we should not lose in the translation.

Why we might translate it as "indebting" or "always being" is because なっている/なっています is an -iru progressive verb: something going on rather than a finished action.

The に particle is tricky because of its multiple meanings. It can indicate an action toward something, but it also means "by" in passive senses, which is essentially the reverse. For instance "anata ni moratta X" means "the X given to me by you", which can also be expressed as "anata kara moratta X".

share|improve this answer

Note that the あなたに part makes this sentence very unnatural-sounding. –  Tokyo Nagoya Nov 11 '13 at 0:23

「あなたには」のほうがいいですね。 –  Chocolate Nov 11 '13 at 0:44
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.