Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

As a valuable feature of my software product, I want to say that results are calculated on-the-fly, meaning the user does not have to wait and receive results by email: results are displayed after two seconds.

Should I say オンザフライ as advised by my friend alc?

The context would be something like "オンザフライ結果表示" in a bullet list

share|improve this question
オンザフライ is indeed not unheard of in documentations of computer software and hardware, but it drives me nuts (part of me screams, “That’s not Japanese!!”). Thank you for trying to translate it better. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Jun 17 '11 at 12:49

3 Answers 3

up vote 4 down vote accepted

You could say

• その場で結果を表示

For example, an article introducing Google's Instant Previews was titled "Google、検索結果をその場でプレビューできる「Instant Previews」発表".

I think this is the most natural way to put it. The downside is you lose the conciseness coming from the use of all-kanji/katakana compound nouns.

share|improve this answer

I like this one for two reasons: 1) it's accurate, and 2) it's Real Japanese (not some kanji conglomeration imported from China). –  Derek Schaab Jun 22 '11 at 18:02

Doubt there is anything better than katakana for the exact term "on the fly", but if you mean to say "real-time"/"immediate", perhaps 即時に【そくじに】 would do?

Yes, 即時に seems to have the meaning I am looking for, thank you! Real-time might be a bit too strong, since my calculation still takes 2 seconds. –  Nicolas Raoul Jun 17 '11 at 9:14

If you want to state that the calculations are done as needed in response to demand, 随時 (ずいじ) would be a possible option. (随時更新される結果表示, maybe?) The ALC page I linked gives "running", "continuous", "as-needed", and similar terms as candidate translations for 随時. But if the quickness of your calculations is the main focus, I think Dave's 即時 would be better.

I should have added that the calculation is only performed once. It is a kind of the final step in the workflow of the website. –  Nicolas Raoul Jun 18 '11 at 3:47

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.