Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In English, we have prefixes, like "pre-"; suffixes, like "-ize"; and arguably, expletives that function as infixes (one classic example is "abso-fucking-lutely").

In Japanese, we also have prefixes, like 超~, 大~; and suffixes, like ~っぽい, ~化{か}. Does Japanese have any infixes, though? I'm interested both in any modern, productive infixes that may exist that I'm not aware of, as well as any historically-productive infixes that are now fossilized.

share|improve this question

I wasn't quite sure how to tag this, so please retag as necessary. –  senshin Aug 20 '13 at 14:24
This question is missing the opportunity to use one of the best words ever: tmesis! –  snailboat Aug 20 '13 at 21:22
add comment

5 Answers

up vote 4 down vote accepted

To the best of my knowledge there are none. Infixes are really pretty rare crosslinguistically, so it's not that surprising. English's expletive ones are pretty unusual even by English's standards, and as far as I know they're not particularly productive (I can't think of too many words you're actually allowed to use them with).

share|improve this answer

What about inserting っ or ん (like in よっぽど and あんまり)? –  execjosh Aug 20 '13 at 23:34
I think that would be better described as a sound change. –  user54609 Aug 21 '13 at 18:06
...that's actually an interesting case. It could potentially be an infix. It could also just be that there's a particular shape associated with certain kinds of adverbs (like こっそり, which doesn't alternate with *こそり), and よっぽど and あんまり (and probably also やっぱり) have been added to the category of adjectives that's supposed to have that shape. –  Sjiveru Aug 21 '13 at 23:04
add comment

The only one I can think of, if it can be called an infix, is [兼]{けん} as in:

[書斎兼応接間]{しょさいけんおうせつま} - a room used for both study and for receiving vistors

or

[総理大臣兼外務大臣]{そうりだいじんけんがいむだいじん} - (be both) Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs

But as it has been pointed out, prefixes and suffixes are much more common in Japanese.

One might ask whether の and つ count in phrases that have become one word, such as [おの-づ-から]{自ずから}, [あき-つ-かた]{秋津方}, [あき-つ-しま]{秋津島}, [つち-の-え]{戊}.

Other than infixes (inside one morpheme), there are also interfixes (placed between morphemes), and this describes 兼, の and つ much better.

As you say, your examples are interfixes rather than infixes. –  Zhen Lin Aug 20 '13 at 18:21
add comment

What about っ (the "little tsu") and ん?

For example:

• やはり → やっぱり・やっぱし
  • よほど → よっぽど
  • あまり → あんまり・あんまし
  • みな → みんな

These seem, to me at least, to be similar to English colloquialisms (e.g., hizouse, saxomaphone).

add comment

Not sure if it's quite the same thing linguistically, but you sometimes see なんか used with negative forms of adjectives or in て form + negative.

欲しくない → 欲しくなんかない

待ってないんだから → 待ってなんかないんだから!

Hmm... This is an interesting specimen :) –  execjosh Aug 24 '13 at 7:53
add comment

From Natsuko Tsujimura's An Introduction to Japanese Linguistics, page 148:

Infixes are bound morphemes that are inserted in the middle of a word rather than being placed before or after it. Japanese does not have any examples of infixes. (emphasis added)

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.