Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Thank you for the so useful site you have. I'm studying by my self and I have found answer to a lot of questions I had. I'm using Nihongo somatome to try N3 and there is a sentence with の that I don't catch very well: 私は少し苦みのあるコーヒーが好きです。 In fact, is a sentence you have to sort properly, and my answer was: 私は少し苦みあるコーヒーのが好きです。 Why after の there is ある?I thought that always it would follow a particle... Thank you in advance!

Sandra

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

Your question isn't entirely clear to me, but I'll try to break down the sentence for you:

私は[[少し苦みのある]コーヒー]が好きです。
I-TOP [[a little bitterness-OBJ have] coffee]-OBJ like-COP.
'I like coffee which has a little bitterness.' (Literal)
'I like slightly bitter coffee.'

The の in 苦みのある is actually a が which has undergone GA-NO conversion, which is possible since it's a relative clause.

There is no need for a の after ある because verbs can directly modify nouns.

There is no need for a の before が because [少し苦みのある]コーヒー is a noun already.

share|improve this answer
I see... Now I understand it! I hadn't thought about a missed が... Sorry for the way I wrote my question but English is not my mother tongue, so sometimes I make mistakes. Thank you for so quickly and clear answer! –  Sandra Aug 18 '13 at 21:59
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.