Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

A 髪隠し

The above is a picture of a piece of cloth that is often worn on the head as part of a 死に装束. I have most commonly seen it referred to as a 天冠, but have also seen it referred to as a 髪隠し.

Did the name 髪隠し originate as a pun on 神隠し (in the sense of "spiriting away"), which is a homophone? Both terms have to do with death in a sense, and a 天冠 doesn't actually do that good a job of 隠すing the 髪 (so it doesn't seem like a particularly good choice of name), so I was curious.

share|improve this question
probably there is no relationship between the two words... though in 千と千尋の神隠し there is an interesting example –  Greek Fellows Aug 18 '13 at 10:54
add comment

1 Answer 1

No, it is not a pun on 神隠し。

Although, I've learned that the the word "kami" (as in 神、髪、上)all came from a common ancestry word meaning something that is higher, or more honerable. So the words themselves are related in that sense.

share|improve this answer
The claim that 神 and 上 are the same word is easily refuted by 上代特殊仮名遣い evidence: the み in 上 is 甲類, the み in 神 is 乙類. –  Zhen Lin Feb 26 at 19:21
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.