Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

どうして わかりましたか。

My teacher said this in a conversation and my brain translated it to "Why did you understand?" (which didn't make much sense given the context!) but I think what she meant was "How did you notice?".

The context:

Me: 先生{せんせい}は 犬{いぬ}が 好{す}きですね。

Her: はい、好{す}きです。どうして わかりましたか。

Am I understanding this correctly? If so, why did her question start with どうして instead of どう?

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 5 down vote accepted

Your teacher means 'Why did you know I like dogs?' わかる means different things depending on context. Here it translates 'to know' as opposed to 'understand'.

As a language, Japanese is heavily tied to context. There are often different translations of the same word to English depending on the context.

share|improve this answer

Why どうして? Would どうわかりましたか be valid as well? –  Ataraxia Aug 17 '13 at 9:49
A Native Japanese speaker could understand どう but it is not correct. –  CodeBeard Aug 17 '13 at 9:53
You should try not connect a Japanese word with a particular English word. That is not how lanuages work. Many an English word can be translated with several Japanese words, depensing on the context. Try to get a feeling for how a word works. Of course, this takes time, so don't feel bad because you can't do that yet. It also helps to consult a Japanese dictionary; here you would get the following definition for 分かる:「頭で考えたり、自分で経験したりして、正しい判断・理解が得られる」 You did not simply "know", you must have gained that knowledge somehow. –  blutorange Aug 17 '13 at 10:39
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.