Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I read that 要するに and つまり are not always interchangeable. Still, I don't really understand the difference between the two...

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers

The two can be interchangeable but where as 要するに means "To summarise" or "in short". つまり is usually taken to mean "in other words":

大敗した。要するに 力の差があった。

It was a big defeat. In short, there was big difference (in strength).

財布をなくした。つまり お金がない。

I have lost my wallet. In other words, I have no money.

There is a similar word to つまり、すなわち which also means "in other words" but is not interchangeable because it does not convey a a conclusion:

母の兄、 すなわち おじさん。| My mother's elder brother. In other words my uncle.

I explain this because (I think*) in the following sentence つまり is interchangeable with either 要するに or すなわち, illustrating the nuance you are asking about.

友人の仕事は危険で、汚くて、おまけに きついらしい。ちなみにそういう仕事は俗に「3K」と呼ばれている。要するに「き」、すなわち「K」が3つつくというわけだ。

I understand my friend's work is dangerous, dirty and hard. This kind of work, incidently is commonly referred to as 3Ks work. In short the 3 "ki"s or "K"s often come together.

*I should be grateful for if others would confirm correct me on this.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Not 100% sure on this, but I think つまり is used more for rewording something, while 要するに is more for "summing up" the "preceding" statements into a "conclusion".

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.