Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm having some trouble to find the meaning of this word. I already saw this 2 times in a game and I can't find the meaning in any dictionary that I use.

Examples:

あやせ:「そうなると私のことなんか放っておいて…」

京介: ブチブチと文句を言ってくる…んだけど、あれ?なんだか言葉の切れ味が鈍いような…

and...

加奈子:「イイエ、ナンデモ」

あやせ:加奈子はそのあともブチブチと何か言っていたけど…

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 4 down vote accepted

From context (such as ブチブチと文句を言って), it looks like ブチブチ has the same meaning as ブツブツ, which is onomatopoeia that corresponds fairly well to grumble, grumble, as when dissatisfied or complaining. See sense five for ブツブツ in the Progressive J-E for examples, or look up ブツブツ in your favorite dictionary.

I also found Google results with ブツブツ and ブチブチ together, which seems to confirm that they're variations on the same thing.

share|improve this answer

Here's a little more discussion in chat with comments by Chocolate, and some more comments by marasai. –  snailboat Aug 11 '13 at 23:25

I don't think that ブチブチ is a variation on ブツブツ, but rather a softening of プチプチ. プチプチ is a crackling noise. Softening it to ブチブチ suggests a more annoying, thick type of complaint in this case, which may contain more information/emotion than one would like. A complaint that is プチプチ could be ignored as background noise, but a ブチブチ complaint suggests that the person is laying it on thick and is truly annoying. Of course, describing a complaint with ブチブチ is derogatory in the sense that speech is described as an annoying sound, rather than words.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.