Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Why does te ha ikenai use ha? I know its a construction, but where did it come from? Te form verbs are not nouns, it doesn't make sense to me that ha could be used with them.

share|improve this question

That answer just says that they can be used with other particles, no reason why. What is the motivation behind te form, and why does this motivation allow other particles to be used with it? –  Anthony Aug 7 '13 at 4:53

Regardless, the topic particle doesn't attach to just nouns. –  Zhen Lin Aug 7 '13 at 7:02
This question might be closer to what you are looking for: japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/1077/… –  dainichi Aug 8 '13 at 8:21

1 Answer 1

THe は in ~てはいけない. Is actually not the topic marking particle, but a different particle entirely. IT's kind of like how the particle に has a number of different uses. In this case the は is used to emphasize the negative part of the sentence. You'll see in other places が being replaced by は before ない or another negative verb or adjective.

Edit: I found some more information on the subject. This website does a good job discussing this concept as I understand it.

share|improve this answer
People can be creative, and I think it's better to think of は as attaching to concepts, not nouns. も is also used with te-forms, 「座ってもいい」. Also, sentences such as 「まず『ありがとう』と言ってはどうだろう」 show that te-forms are considered a fully-formed concept like 言うのは. –  blutorange Aug 8 '13 at 9:41

Both in 「象 は 動物 だ」 and 「言う は 動詞 だ」 and (talking about pronunciation)「言う は ゆう」, は attaches to the concept of the words 象 and 言う. Often, you want to talk about the concept of performing a verb, and one way to do that is の 「XをYと言うの は 何故 だ」 –  blutorange Aug 8 '13 at 9:58

In The Structure of the Japanese Language, Kuno calls the topic particle thematic は, while the one you talk about here is contrastive は. Other linguists take an opposing view, that there is only one は: see Shibatani's The Languages of Japan, page 265 (and the entire section, pp.262-280) for some discussion. –  snailboat Sep 19 '13 at 3:28

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.