Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Often I see people write urusai to mean annoying, and I've also seen meiwaku, but I was wondering if there was an adjective closer to meaning annoying. Mendokusai means bothersome, but in a different sense, right?

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 4 down vote accepted

Here's a bunch of words which can mean "annoying" or something related:

• めんどくさい (also めんどい): something that requires effort but you don't feel like doing or dislike doing for whatever reason; bothersome

• うるさい: lit. "noisy" or "loud"; can also be used to refer to annoying people, their words or actions

• むかつく: something or someone who raises your blood pressure, ticks you off

• イライラする: to get annoyed by something/someone

• しつこい(な奴{やつ}): obstinate or insistent (person) who is pestering you with silly questions etc.

• 腹{はら}が立{た}つ: to get angry/furious/pissed off

• 邪魔{じゃま}な(もの): something/someone who's a hindrance, in your way literally or figuratively.

• うざい (often said as うぜえ): can mean many things: annoying, bothersome, gross, nuisance etc. Used mostly by young people; apparently very offensive to the point of leading to bloodshed or suicides.

Other words from dictionaries which I haven't encountered myself so not certain of their nuances.

• うっとうしい
  • じれったい
  • わずらわしい
  • しゃくに障る
share|improve this answer

詰らない (adjective in i) means annoying, boring or not interesting.

share|improve this answer

For me "annoying" suggests some level of being agitated. 詰まらない means just the opposite: dull/uninteresting/pointless/... I don't it is a good synonym for annoying. –  Earthliŋ Aug 8 '13 at 7:46

ふしぎの海のナディア, マリー in one episode she said つまんな〜い and she is referring about the annoying situation. image or so i have understand, maybe i'm wrong... –  aliceinwire Aug 8 '13 at 15:03

I guess that annoyed people often say つまらない/つまんない (in the sense of "that's lame"), but that doesn't mean that つまらない actually means "annoying". –  Earthliŋ Aug 9 '13 at 10:35

I always thought マリー was using つまんない to mean something closer to "boring". –  snailboat Aug 23 '13 at 14:16

annoying is not synonyms of boring ? annoying synonyms –  aliceinwire Aug 23 '13 at 14:32

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.