Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is the に particle in ように consistent in all its uses?

For example...
1/
明日は晴れるように or
覚えるようにします
I understand the に here to be a target particle for what you are wishing for or trying to achieve.

2/
先生のように教える
Here it seems like it is more like it is making よう into an adverbial form.

Is there an interpretation that encompasses both uses?

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 3 down vote accepted

Both are {noun+の or verbal phrase X}ように{verb Y }, ie to do Y in a way of X, do Y like or similar to X.

Most literally you could interpret all these sentences in such a way:

I (shall) act such that [in a way that] I remember

[I am wishing] In a way that the weather be clear tomorrow.

To teach in a way a teacher teaches.

The nuances follow quite intuitively.

"in a way such that it is nice tomorrow" starts to make sense once we add the implicit "I/We wish or hope in such a way" or "please act in such a way, {some deity}!".

ようにする, from its literal meaning, has become one standard expression for your goals.

Generalization (extended sense) and concretisation (restricting to one sense), as well as.metaphors are common in language, and I think it's not too hard to see what all these three sentences have got in common.

share|improve this answer

Perfect!!!! I had a hunch that it wasn't a target particle in the first example but so many people tell me it is... You explained it really well thankyou! –  Nathan Aug 6 '13 at 8:42
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.