Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm having trouble with the translation of 終わらせている in the following sentence, and as far as I understand it likely translates here as "die". But I never found this meaning for 終わる in vocabulary, and why is it in させる form ?

「ええ・・・・・・摩夜さんこそ、犯人が狙う本命だと思うんです」 「いったい・・・・・・誰がそんなことを・・・・・・?」 「それは・・・・・・」 ついさっきまで、詩音さんがやっていると思っていた。 でも彼女は死んでしまった。 だとしたら摩夜さんはもう安全だと思うのだけど・・・・・・ それともーー既に終わらせているのだろうか・・・・・・?

Some sort of translation: "Until a moment ago, I though it was Shion-san. But she is dead. In this case I think that Maya-san is safe now... or - already dead."

share|improve this question

I see 死ぬ。 listed as meaning six in 大辞林, so that meaning is listed in dictionaries. –  snailboat Aug 4 '13 at 16:11

What seems particularly odd to me is that 終わらせる would be used instead of 終える...I'm looking forward to seeing what the answer to this is. –  Ataraxia Aug 4 '13 at 16:11

Added more context. –  DarkAkira Aug 4 '13 at 18:51
According to the context you provided, I think "既に終わらせているのだろうか" is "(犯人は)既に(仕事を)終わらせているのだろうか". –  marasai Aug 5 '13 at 0:42
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 3 down vote accepted

It's hard to say without understanding the whole twisted plot, and I can't really come up with a plausble interpretation.

The reason "dead" is unlikely in this sentence is that 終わる as dead would normally mean committing a suicide as 終える. The subject of this sentence is Maya-san, so this becomes "or Maya might have committed a suicice, and I don't think it flows very well.

Another possibility is "[the killer had achieved his/her objectives and] the killing has ended", which I would say more natural use of 終わらせる, except that this won't explain それとも.

I think it's fair to say this text isn't particularly well written. I think more sentenes that follow might help disambiguate.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.