Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm watching an anime where the protagonist says, according to the subtitles, "that must be it!" But what it sounds like he's saying "あれが" instead of "あれだ". I know I may be hearing incorrectly, but is it possible for "あれが" to be said in a way that would translate to "That must be it"?

share|improve this question

Is it possible for you to share a very brief sound clip with us? (I ask because you feel you may have misheard it.) –  snailboat Aug 4 '13 at 2:53

Please note that subtitles are almost never direct translations as they are designed to make sense to native speakers of another language. Several sentences may be translated entirely differently to get the same point across. This is especially true with some points where the two languages don't necessarily have good equivalents, and a direct translation would just cause confusion. –  jmac Aug 5 '13 at 0:51

1 Answer 1

up vote 1 down vote accepted

I think the only way for it to be あれが and make sense is if it's in response to some question. Although that would be emphasizing the that in "That must be it".

• 何が一番偉いものなんだ? → What's the best/greatest one (thing)?
  • あれが! → That one (is)! / That must be it!

If you're sure the pronunciation isn't , there's a slight possibility they could be saying あれや! where is the Kansai-ben equivalent of and slightly mistakable for if said fast enough.

share|improve this answer

I feel like with あれが there's some verb that's being omitted for brevity. Do you know what it is? I'm thinking あれが(探しているのです), but I'm not sure. –  Ataraxia Aug 4 '13 at 16:13

@Ataraxia: With my example, they're omitting the 一番偉いもの((なん)だ) since it doesn't need to be repeated. In general, it depends on what's being discussed. –  istrasci Aug 4 '13 at 21:59

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.