Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have been trying for ages to understand the reason という is used so frequently, in other words, what does it add to the sentence and what connotations does it have in Japanese. I understand the meaning of each word individually in many of the set phrases it belongs to... but if you were forced to name who it is doing the いう'ing... would it be the speaker, Japanese society or just some abstract entity?

All I've found are silly and questionable English translations like

今日のテーマは愛という事だ "Today's lesson is the thing they call love"

The problem for me arises when I see just how often stuff like ということ appears in conversation... even twice in a sentence... like

彼が金を貸してくれたということは私は彼に信用されているということだ。

Why isn't it just 彼がお金を貸してくれたことは

I was hoping someone could give me a (hopefully in-depth) understanding based more in how it is understood in Japanese. Even a link to a good Japanese explanation or a summary would do.

share|improve this question
This is a good question but quite wide ranging. If you follow the syllabus for the JLPT you will identify quite a few uses of という. I am not sure I will have time to put my answer together but I hope somebody else can give their's. –  Tim Jul 29 '13 at 14:04

I understand that it can be seen as quite broad, but I wagered that most uses of it stemmed from the same understanding of the term which I had hoped to learn. Also, I'm not the kind of person who can use something without understanding it. All the grammar points I have mastered just clicked suddenly when I had some realization of why they were the way they were. Here's hoping someone has a great answer! –  Nathan Jul 29 '13 at 23:41

1 Answer 1

貸してくれたということは = 貸してくれた + ということは

ということは~ = That means ~

http://kotobank.jp/word/%E3%81%A8%E8%A8%80%E3%81%86%E3%81%93%E3%81%A8%E3%81%AF

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.