Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I was watching a TV drama, and one line was:

「熊出来てる」

I would translate it as "seems like a bear is coming out". In context, it seems to refer to a person who has rings under their eyes, due to not getting enough sleep, working too late into the night, etc.

But I am wondering how a bear relates to the meaning of this phrase. Thought I would ask at the risk of it being too narrow a topic.

share|improve this question

@snailboat I see. I was thinking there was some hidden meaning. But it was only my bad translation... –  user3169 Jul 28 '13 at 5:03

Did it really use the kanji ? –  syockit Jul 28 '13 at 6:01

@syockit It was based on what I heard, くま. I should have checked further to get the correct meaning. –  user3169 Jul 30 '13 at 0:45

1 Answer 1

Don't know why snailboat didn't answer the question, but just to make an answer:

くま can also be 隈, which is the dark circles under your eyes when you are tired or don't get enough sleep, like when you have to do lots of overtime at work...

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.