Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am reading something but I can't decipher the meaning of this: よーちぇん時から忘れた事ないぞ、みーくん and おらん

The first one I can grasp the sense since it tells Mi-kun not to forget the time but よーちぇん is affixed before 時. Upon searching google, many of the searches returns something about time like "おはよーちぇんだよ".

On the second one, I am confused if this means "I" as おら is a northen dialect for 俺. However, the speaker speaks in Kansa-ben so maybe that's not it. I know there's おる in Kansai-ben which means いる in standard dialect. With ん affixed to it, does it mean negates おる?

share|improve this question
Full context would be useful (for みーくん and おらん). They are also likely separate questions. –  jmac Jul 25 '13 at 2:15

2 Answers 2

up vote 7 down vote accepted

Never seen よーちぇん before but it must be a lazy pronunciation of 幼稚園{ようちえん}

So: "I haven't forgotten it since kindergarten"

And no context in the question but おらん will most likely be the negative of おる, yes.

share|improve this answer

I did some googling and I think you're correct with よーちぇん. I will mark this as accepted answer if there'll be no other asnwers. :) –  Jin Jul 24 '13 at 20:13

I did some googling too after I answered and I'm pretty sure I'm right with よーちぇん. よーちぇん時 would be 幼稚園の時 :) –  Ash Jul 24 '13 at 20:28

It's definitely 幼稚園 –  ssb Jul 24 '13 at 23:39
おらん is often いない in Kansai-ben. –  jmac Jul 25 '13 at 2:14

Thanks for clearing up that おらん is often いない –  Jin Jul 25 '13 at 7:08

Spouse of a Kansai-ben speaker here and I can confirm おらん is the normal way of saying いない. If the speaker is supposed to be from Kansai then that must be it.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.