Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

For example in the sentence: 書くだけでいいですか.

share|improve this question

Oh, sorry. I meant for the example sentence to be: 書くだけでいいですか. Without the mo. So the question is basically, is でいい the same as でもいい. –  user3744 Jul 22 '13 at 7:38

でいい means just that (それでいい?), でもいい implies asking for permission for sth. that may be troublesome. (You are aware of the side effects? それでもいい?) 書くだけでいいですか -> All I need to do is to write (eg sth. down) 書くだけでもいいですか -> All I want to do is to write, may I? –  blutorange Jul 22 '13 at 9:22
What is wrong with this question? (why is it downvoted?) –  Tim Jul 22 '13 at 13:25
I would like to know that too... please explain why the downvote, it is pointless downvoting without further details. –  Andry Jul 22 '13 at 13:58
add comment

2 Answers

The meanings are quite similar, but there's a subtle difference.

Both phrases involve settling for something, or one person making a choice on behalf of another: お昼ごはんはハンバーガーでいい? "Would a hamburger do for lunch?" Or something is sufficient: そこにおくだけでいいです "Please just put it there [and I'll do the rest.]"

But でもいい has an added sense that there is something better or preferable out there, but you are settling, or asking, for something less. This comes from the use of でも, which has a negative conjunction.

That is, お昼ごはんはハンバーガーでもいい? has a nuance of, "I know you like something else," or perhaps, "I don't know if you like a hamburger or not." Another example would be: 名前を書くだけでもいいですか? and this would mean something like, "[You want to me to put down my address for this petition, but] would it be OK if I just write my name?"

share|improve this answer

Intonation/emphasis also has an effect here, right? –  Trevor Alexander Jan 7 at 0:02

I corrected the spelling, grammar, and punctuation, which I think should be uncontroversial. Additionally, I couldn't help but also change the formatting a little, mainly highlighting the Japanese text. Only because otherwise there was so much punctuation it was a little hard to read. I hope that's acceptable. –  Dave M G Jan 11 at 6:35
add comment

I think they're different. Look at these two examples:

それだけで何ができる?

それだけでも何ができる?

The first one sounds fine. I'm not sure the second one makes sense.

I think the「で」(in the first example I gave) is used in the same sense as it is in「でいい」. Since it cannot be replaced with「でも」here, I think this is a good way to get an understanding of this usage of「で」. Once you understand that, then you will be able to see the difference between 「でいい」 and 「でもいい」.

share|improve this answer
The question was about 「でいい」 vs 「でもいい」 (which are quite similar, aside from what Kohsuke Kawaguchi wrote), not about 「で」 vs 「でも」 (which can be entirely different, as you give an example of), no? –  Darius Jahandarie Jan 6 at 19:51

@DariusJahandarie Yes you're right, I should state the argument I'm making more explicitly. I'll edit it. –  ogicu8abruok Jan 6 at 22:22
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.