Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

おわってなさすぎ

There's te-form for owarimasu, and I see sugiru form. What does the "nasasugi" part mean?

share|improve this question

I suspect that it is related to japanese.stackexchange.com/a/6783/542 –  Flaw Jul 21 '13 at 16:23

That looks correct, so what does that whole phrase mean? –  TomatoPotato Jul 21 '13 at 16:25
I do not know. Can you provide the rest of the sentence for context? –  Flaw Jul 21 '13 at 16:42

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

おわっていない = unfinished.

すぎる is a conjugation attached to the stem of a verb to mean "too much". However, when it precedes a negative form, ない becomes なさすぎる.

Therefore おわってなさすぎる would mean "__ is too unfinished", and おわってなさすぎ is its stem.

share|improve this answer
What do you mean by stem? The 連用形, or the invariant part? I'm asking because it is not uncommon to consider the 連体形 ("dictionary" form) the base form. –  blutorange Jul 21 '13 at 19:28

In all my experience with the term verb stem, it has always referred to the part that precedes the -ます of the polite form of a verb. –  Ataraxia Jul 21 '13 at 19:37
Yeah, that's the 連用形. 'Stem' is a bit of a difficult word to use in the context of Japanese, as there's multiple 'stems' for different uses. Really, 終わります is best segmented as owar-i-mas-u, with the true 'stem' being owar-; the various 〇〇形 forms are stems + single-vowel suffixes (for godan verbs, at least). –  Sjiveru Jul 22 '13 at 0:03

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.