Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Historically where did all of these different forms arise, and when are they used? I noticed that だ and である both have their place in different 文法形, what is the difference in their meaning? I know that in things like 論文 as well as, apparently, on Wikipedia である is used, but I really don't know why.

share|improve this question

Related: Where does です come from? –  Darius Jahandarie Jul 20 '13 at 1:25

To add to the confusion, and to give some perspective, Japanese has accumulated even more copulas over its history, eg なり(=に+あり), たり(と+あり). Today, these sound archaic. –  blutorange Aug 19 '13 at 4:30

1 Answer 1

だ is a reduced form of である, which is itself a reduction of にてある (the particle で was originally にて). です is a reduced form of であります. As far as we can tell, the copular verb ('to be X') in Japonic has pretty much always been locative particle + ある. In Old Japanese it was なり (a reduction of にあり, back when あり was the 終止形), and in the Ryukyuan languages it tends to be something similar to ya- (probably にあり minus the n instead of the i). Pretty much all of Japanese has since replaced the に with で, but depending on where you are である can be reduced to any of だ, や or じゃ.

である tends to sound more formal and literary than だ/です. My guess is that its usefulness derives from the fact that sounds neither informal (like だ would be) nor deferential (like です would be), and is thus a useful alternative when 'talking to nobody', as it were - you'd use it when writing some sort of impersonal work (non-fiction or maybe third-person-narrator fiction), you'd never use it when speaking.

share|improve this answer

cool - does this mean でござる/ございます was never involved in the history of the coupla except as a polite alternative? –  jlptn1 Jul 19 '13 at 18:52
Another difference between である and だ/です that the former retains more of its verbal properties and can be used as a 連体形 . For example, you can say 「ご本人であることの確認書類」, but not *「ご本人(だ・です)ことの確認書類」 –  blutorange Jul 19 '13 at 21:52
Also, I've seen different theories about the history of です, would anybody have any credible sources (recent papers?) The 日本国語大辞典 considers it a contraction of でさうらふ(候)->でさう or でござります, kojien as well. Daijisen says 「で候」「でおはす」「でございます」「であります」など諸説ある Or I wonder, has it origin been lost in the mist of time, and perhaps all these words contributed to the contraction です? –  blutorange Jul 19 '13 at 22:00
There are a number of theories for the origins of です, but we don't know for sure which is correct. –  snailboat Jul 19 '13 at 22:00
"you'd never use (である) when speaking"?? People do use it in speaking if not in casual chitchat. –  非回答者 Feb 12 at 6:01

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.