Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Straightforward question. 天爾遠波 (or 弖爾乎波) - written as てにをは - is a term used to refer to the Japanese particles (助詞) or sometimes Japanese grammar as a whole (文法). So how to do pronounce the at the end? Is it or ? Presumably it's the former since it's describing particles, but I've never seen it definitively explained anywhere.

share|improve this question

NHK日本語発音アクセント辞典 gives the reading as テニオハ. But see here www.tt.rim.or.jp/~rudyard/hirago013.html 【無論、普通は「てにをは」は「tenioha」と読みます。 この言葉だけを見れば、「は」で問題ないことでしょう。 しかし、「こんにちわ」や「こんばんわ」を支持するなら、それではいけません。】 –  blutorange Jul 18 '13 at 17:42

Clickable link from above comment: tt.rim.or.jp/~rudyard/hirago013.html –  istrasci Jul 18 '13 at 22:27
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 3 down vote accepted

According to the entry about は in デジタル大辞泉:

「は」は、平安時代半ば以後、語中・語尾では、一般に[wa]と発音されるようになった。これらは、歴史的仮名遣いでは「は」と書くが、現代仮名遣いでは、助詞「は」以外はすべて「わ」と書く。

Which is probably the source of confusion. If one thinks of it as a "word" then they might be inclined to read it as te-ni-o-wa.

However, according to the entry about てにをは in デジタル大辞泉:

《ヲコト点の一種の博士家(はかせけ)点の四隅の点を、左下から右回りに続けて読むと「てにをは」となるところから》

So, as you can see, it's more like an acronym of sorts than it is an actual "word" (as in it identifies the markup actually used in 漢文). Therefore, it is read as te-ni-o-ha.

Additionally, イロハ (i.e., 伊呂波短歌) is read as i-ro-ha and not i-ro-wa (I have no sources to back up this claim, though, other than my own experience).

share|improve this answer

+1 for comparing it to 伊呂波. –  istrasci Aug 16 '13 at 14:13
add comment

The は is being used as the pronunciation of 波, and not as a particle. Thus it is pronounced like a ハ. The particle は is always in the hiragana form, so as it is a kanji it must be pronounced ハ.

Just because it is describing particles does not mean it is a particle.

Remember, if は is the pronunciation of a kanji, it is always pronounced ハ. Only when it is a particle (when it must be in hiragana form) can it pronounced ワ.

share|improve this answer
Source? 難波 (the old name for Osaka) is pronounced なにわ, so there's at least one one instance where is not pronounced 'ハ'. –  istrasci Jul 19 '13 at 16:54

jisho.org/kanji/details/%E6%B3%A2 The onyomi reading is listed as ハ. –  Spartan4085 Jul 23 '13 at 2:19
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.