Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've seen both refered to as "match". Is there some secondary usage or perhaps a connotation or nuance that separates the two?

share|improve this question
試合 is a match/game while 勝負 is a duel/challenge/fight. –  oldergod Jul 19 '13 at 1:31

2 Answers 2

up vote 3 down vote accepted

From what I understand, 試合 appears to apply mostly (only?) to sports, but is also acceptable and considered correct for board games (chess, 将棋【しょうぎ】, 碁【ご】, etc. - see comments below). 勝負 applies to these situations as well, but also to "fights"/"fighting" (actual, struggle for power, etc.), and to "the game" as in winning the game (the victory). The characters for 勝負 literally mean "win lose", so it can also have that definition.

• 真剣勝負をする → Play/Fight for real
  • 勝負の世界 → The world where power rules
  • 勝負に出る → Make a decisive move
  • 勝負はこっちのものだ → The game is mine! (as in "I'm going to win!" or "The victory is mine!")
  • 勝負は時の運だ → Victory or defeat [Whether you win or not] is just luck.

Here is an image from the game Samurai Shodown (サムライ・スピリッツ) showing the pre-fight announcement ("Fight!").

勝負

And another picture from the same game when you win the round (勝負あり - "You win")

勝負あり

They also differ when used as する verbs. 試合をする simply means to "have/play/hold a game/match". But 勝負をする can take that meaning as well as "to fight/challenge".

• 正々堂々勝負をしよう → Let's play fair [a fair game].
  • 実力で勝負する → Dictionary says "match one's skill (against a person)"
share|improve this answer
"Sports" shouldn't be taken too narrowly, you can use it with chess, see chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/detail/q1045697175 As you pointed out, the important difference is that 試合 would not be used for a real struggle for power.試合:技の優劣を競い合うこと。 勝負:勝ち負け(を争うこと・戦い) –  blutorange Jul 18 '13 at 16:36

@blutorange: You mean to say that 試合 can be used with chess? Your link is broken. –  istrasci Jul 18 '13 at 16:37

This should work detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1045697175 There may be more appropriate terms, but everybody in that thread seems to agree that 試合 wouldn't be wrong, especially when used by non-professionals (of shougi). –  blutorange Jul 18 '13 at 17:48

So 試合 can only be used the traditional sense of a match (prepared in good time, official, etc.) And 勝負 can be used to refer to anything where there's a winner and a loser? (A brawl, power struggle, a spontaneous game between two friends)? –  Daniel Safari Jul 18 '13 at 19:08

勝負(win and/or lose) = a match to make it clear who is a winner and who is a loser

試合(trial match) = a match with rules to train, to enjoy, or to enhance skills

share|improve this answer

Does this mean that 試合 can not be used for things that matter alot? Like the baseball finals? –  Daniel Safari Jul 25 '13 at 20:25
Actually, we use 試合 for the baseball finals and the Olympic games. They may matter a lot, but just "games" after all. No one dies because of them. –  k04 Jul 27 '13 at 9:18

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.