Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've been trying to work out the usage of にともなう, にともなって, and so on, but am having difficulty understanding the difference between placing the particle の after a verb and before にともなう. One grammar resource that I have only gives the usage with の as examples, while another only gives the usage without it as examples.

The first gives as an example: マラソン大会が行われるのに伴って、この道路は通行止めになります。

The second gives as an example: 秋が深まるにともなって、山の紅葉が進む。

Is there a general rule for when to use each of these patterns?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

The particle に does not usually readily take on a postposition to a verb. That is why the nominaliser の comes in to "rescue" the situation. Then as the structure becomes formed, the nominalisation is implicitly understood and forms the zero-nominalised form without the の.

Zero-nominalisation is when nominalisation occurs without an overt particle.

If you have A Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar, I think you can refer to page 291. There is a similar situation with には and のには. The dictionary notes that there is no difference between them.

Consider:

• It takes a considerable amount of time in order to learn Japanese

• 日本語を習うのにはかなりの時間がかかる (with overt nominalisation)

• 日本語を習うにはかなりの時間がかかる (zero-nominalisation)

The meaning is the same for both of them.

share|improve this answer

I think Dono explained it differently here. If I understand correctly, you can analyze this by saying the version is attaching to the 連体形, and the のに version is attaching to the 終止形. –  snailboat Jul 15 '13 at 18:14

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.