Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I recently read a quote from architect Sverre Fehn that stated:

"Japan has a word for finding the pleasantest point in an interior..."

I was wondering if anyone might know what this word is.

Thanks

share|improve this question
This is a great question. Just like visiting the place you read about in a travel journal, statements about foreign languages always sound so fascinating right up to the point when you actually understand the language. –  Earthliŋ Jul 12 '13 at 19:14
mmm... It's difficult. '味がある' comes to my mind. that is 慣用句. –  flied onion Jul 13 '13 at 13:17
add comment

1 Answer

Best I can come up with is... 趣きがある (おもむきがある) Omomuki literally translates to 'Charming' on the internet. But that is too frank. It more means 'classy'. If you are talking about a room, it means the place in the room that gives it it's charm.

For example: このはしらはおもむきがある - this means 'this beam is charming' literally. But it means that the beam has a charming age that gives the room a good feeling.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.