Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm having troubles with distinguishing between passive voice and potential voice in the following sentences, help me please.

enter image description here

鍔姫:「だから、弟が幼稚園の頃、母に頼まれて、よく風呂にいれていてだな。その、だから見慣れているというか」
幼稚園の頃……?
それと比べられて平気って、おい。
鍔姫:「いや、別に沢山見ているわけではないが! 何もかも平気というわけでもないが……」
鍔姫:「あ、いや、今は平気だった。別に気分など悪くしてないからな! 断じてしていない!」

enter image description here

”ファントム”の称号を与えるのは問題かとも思ったが……」
マグワイヤ
「もう異論はない。
彼女こそ”ファントム”」
マグワイヤ
「我がインフェルノのトップ=スナイパーだ」
サイス
「いえ、どれもこれも、
ミズ=マッキェネンの後ろ盾があればこそ、
成し遂げられた成果です」
マグワイヤ
「良い部下を待ったな、クロウディア」
クロウディア
「……」

Some sort of translation: pic1 -

When he was in kindergarten ? I was compared with him(this?), and she is saying "everything is fine", hey. - passive.

When he was in kindergarten ? She could compare me with him(this?), and she is saying "everything is fine", hey. - potential.

pic2 -

The results has been achieved only because of Miss McCunnen's help. - passive.

We(?) were able to do it only because of Miss McCunnen's help. - potential.

As always thank you very much for help!

share|improve this question
Hello! Did you have a question about something more specific? –  snailboat Jul 7 '13 at 15:51
Most of your questions are of the form "don't understand this sentence" and most accepted answers give a full translation of the sentence. If you're reading the rest fine, you shouldn't have any problems giving a rough translation of the sentence in question, which would help the potential answerers (not necessarily to understand the sentence, but to see where you are having troubles). In this case, you could give two translations interpreting 比べられる as potential/passive forms and give an idea of which you think is more likely in this context, which would improve the question. –  Earthliŋ Jul 7 '13 at 16:02

Translation added, sorry for unnecessary troubles. –  DarkAkira Jul 7 '13 at 17:10

Okay, it looks like your question is about 比べられて in the first picture and 成し遂げられた in the second picture, so I edited the question to put those parts in bold. –  snailboat Jul 7 '13 at 18:15

Thank you for the edit. –  Earthliŋ Jul 7 '13 at 19:56
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 3 down vote accepted
  1. それと比べられて平気って、おい。
    Passive. The subjects for 比べられる and 平気(だ・でいる) are the speaker. (The subject of 比べる is 鍔姫. The speaker is saying that 鍔姫 is comparing his ✕✕✕ with her little brother's ✕✕✕... and says "... and you think I feel fine(=平気)? Hey." )

2. ~があればこそ、成し遂げられた~
    Potential. It's like "We managed/were able to do it only/precisely because we had Miss McCunnen's backup."
    cf. 「これまでの蓄積があればこそ、今日までやってこられたのだ」weblioばこそ

share|improve this answer
×××をどうしたらいいかわかりません。。。 –  Chocolate Jul 10 '13 at 14:45
もしかして4文字?日本語だと3文字か4文字か5文字かな・・・ –  Chocolate Jul 10 '13 at 21:46
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.