Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I know that だよ is like the informal of です but I couldn't get it because when I was having a conversation with someone which went like this

person: うん痩せたいです今よりもっと
me: 私も... ;;
person: だよなー

I couldn't get it ._.

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

If you've learned enough of the language to use Kanji and such, you should know that だよなー is not a single unit, but 3 separate components. The だ in that is the 'casual,' so to speak, iteration of です, and is the one you're more likely to see in less formal situations and by more casually-minded folks. The latter 2 parts are what's known as 終助詞(しゅうじょし), the end-of-sentence particles that give a sentence a different flavor and intent, the kind depending on which one is used, much like the exclamation point, question mark and 'man' do in ending an English sentence. In this particular case, this is a combination of よ(emphatic 終助詞, works like '!' or 'Yo') and な(variation of ね, tag 終助詞 that also functions as a softer version of よ)

With all that established, your little chat likely went something like this:

Friend: Yeah, I wanna drop some pounds. Today, especially.
You: Me too...
Friend: Totally, man

share|improve this answer

+1 Great translation. –  oldergod Jun 28 '13 at 7:35
If you're going to use words from Japanese grammar, I think you should use them the way they're used in Japanese. I would say and are 終助詞 ("sentence-final particles"). In contrast, a 語尾 is an inflected word-ending. For example, you can divide はやい into the 語幹 ("word root") はや and the 語尾 . –  snailboat Jun 28 '13 at 11:09

だよなー sounds more feminine to me, so I don't know that equating it to "man" is a good idea since the emphatic "man" like that is mostly used by...well, men. –  istrasci Jun 28 '13 at 14:53
could someone give a literal word for word translation of 今よりもっと? –  yadokari Jun 28 '13 at 20:04
Apologies if the terminology is in error. My materials-Tae Kim's grammar book, specifically, taught me that 語尾 were those sentence final particles. That's likely why I never found much on them when I looked up 語尾 –  Roy Fuentes Jun 29 '13 at 3:42

だよなー is manly tone of 'だよねー'.

だよねー is だよね.
だよね is shortly word of そうだよね

same following.

person: うん痩せたいです今よりもっと
me: 私も... ;;
person: やっぱり、そうだよねー。

Example.

friend: 痩せたいよ今よりもっと。  
me    : 私も... ;;
friend: だよねー。 / だよなー。 / そうだよねー。 / そうだよなー。

junior: 痩せたいです今よりもっと。  
me    : 私も... ;;
junior: ですよねー。/ そうですよねー。

ですよなー。 / そうですよなー。 are wrong.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.