Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am a bit confused about this sentence I came across while studying:

質問のある方はどうぞ。 "Please feel free to ask any questions."

I'm not sure about the "のある方" part of the sentence.

My guess is that it would have to mean "to ask" in some way, but I can't figure out how. Is the の possessive?

Thank's for the help.

share|improve this question
You may want to look into「の」in relation to「が」^^; –  summea Jun 26 '13 at 18:56
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 3 down vote accepted

方 here is かた (honorific 'person'), so 質問のある方 means 'anyone who has questions'. の is often used in relative clauses to mark subject (where が might otherwise be expected).

share|improve this answer
add comment

This is the same thing as 質問がある方はどうぞ → "Anyone who has a question, go ahead (and ask)". here is just the polite word for "person". As @summea suggested in their comment, can replace in some situations, so you should look into that. There are some questions on this site regarding that, but I'm having a hard time finding them right now.

share|improve this answer
が emphasizes the subject in particular (preceding が) and の is used for normal sentence flow. 質問がある方 would be said if you weren't expecting people to have questions but you felt like offering help to the small number who do. –  無色受想行識 Jun 26 '13 at 22:34
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.