Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I cannot find the kanji for hito, as in the name Hirohito, in my Modern Reader's Japanese-English Character Dictionary (Andrew Nelson). When I searched online I found that the hito was shown as a four stroke kanji, written as nimben and two horizontal strokes similar to the number two. I searched with the nimben and rod radicals with no success. Can someone help me out here?

share|improve this question

Jim Breen's KANJIDIC (accessible through interfaces such as jisho.org) gives indices into various kanji dictionaries, including the original Nelson. In this case, you could use the jisho.org kanji search, and click on 亻 and 二 to find the character. The resulting page lists it under Classic Nelson, and says 349. –  snailboat Jun 22 '13 at 16:16

@無色受想行識 By "properly" you mean "classically"? –  Earthliŋ Jun 22 '13 at 21:40

What exactly are you asking...? Are you asking if the one you found () is correct, or if it is the correct one of many choices? I feel that this is too localized anyway. –  istrasci Jun 22 '13 at 23:09
add comment

closed as too localized by istrasci, Dono, snailboat Jun 25 '13 at 3:14

This question is unlikely to help any future visitors; it is only relevant to a small geographic area, a specific moment in time, or an extraordinarily narrow situation that is not generally applicable to the worldwide audience of the internet. For help making this question more broadly applicable, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

1 Answer

There is 仁, which fits all of your descriptions. You wouldn't have found it with the rod radical, because the rod is a vertical line. Most digital dictionaries have a search function by stroke number as well (or at least order the results by stroke number), which would have helped. Plus [二]{に} is actually a traditional radical.

My dictionary gives at least the following combinations for Hirohito

郭人, 寛人, 寛仁, 宏人, 宏仁, 宏斉, 広人, 広仁, 弘人, 弘仁, 浩人, 浩仁, 祥仁, 仁人, 大仁, 博人, 博仁, 祐人, 裕人, 裕仁, 洋人, 煕人, 洋仁, 皓人

share|improve this answer
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.