Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Konna ikari ni warawa ga hirumu to demo?

In this sentence does that mean, Sould I scared/afraid of this (little) anger? (a humiliation/mocking intent is directed in this sentence)

or, Do I need to be scared of this kinda anger?

These are my assumptions, yoroshiku onegaishimasu :)

share|improve this question
did you just hear this? If not can you provide the quote written in japanese please? –  yadokari Jun 21 '13 at 22:11

@yadokari: It's from Fairy Tail manga img194.imageshack.us/img194/8518/eaju.jpg –  skip-beat Jun 21 '13 at 22:22

2 Answers 2

up vote 0 down vote accepted

とでも、used at the end of a sentence, can turn the statement into a question with a sentiment expressing resentment, astonishment, antagonism or just plain emphasis.

そんな怒りに妾が怯むとでも?

And you think that anger would make me flinch?

Examples:

「それが実証できるとでも?」 `You're going to verify THAT?'

あなたに言われないと分からないとでも? Like I need you to tell me that.

{ほかになりようがあるとでも?」と女王さま。 `What would you have it?' said the Queen. (from Alice in wonderland)

同性愛者ですが何か?それが犯罪だとでも? So what if I am gay? Is it a crime?

Source:

http://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=とでも?

share|improve this answer

と is the quoting particle, でも means "or something" (listing an example just as in お茶でもいかが?), and the verb is omitted.

In this case it is 思った?, but in other situations it might be 言うつもり? or something else.

そんな怒りに妾が怯むとでも?
(Did you think) that I would recoil from that kind of anger or something?

The "or something" can have various effects as it does in English, trivializing the idea, emphasizing it, making it sound far-fetched or ridiculous, etc.

As always, there are various ways to translate this and there is no need to be absolutely literal, but とでも is nothing more or less than the sum of its parts.

share|improve this answer

Are you sure it is that specific meaning of でも? –  yadokari Jun 21 '13 at 23:15

That's how I've always understood it, yes. I'd be surprised (but interested) to hear that it is a different meaning. –  Hyperworm Jun 21 '13 at 23:19

Yadokari's explanation fits in the manga well ;) Still thanks and appreciate both of you :) Thanks to you I was able to learn sth new ^-^ –  skip-beat Jun 22 '13 at 15:47

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.