Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I was tonight with japanese friends and I noticed they rather used a simple 辞書形 form along with a raising tone to ask a question, although we learned in class that "non-polite" questions were formed with 辞書形+の. Is there a difference between the two ? From this topic "Is ending question sentences with の really feminine?" I gathered that の might have a feminine touch when used along with statements, but what about questions in general ? Can I use の without sounding like a weirdo ? I also heard the two, along with no-verb questions in an anime I'm currently watching, Ergo Proxy, but I guess these are used whenever the verb and/or subject are well defined by the context... To summarize with examples :

• どこへ行くの?
  • どこへ行く?
  • どこへ?

What's the difference between the above examples ? Can I use any of those in any given situation ? Thanks, ウルカン

share|improve this question
So your main question is "what's the difference"? –  istrasci Jun 21 '13 at 17:41

Yes what's the difference. And I hope the answer would include some hint as to when or in which situation to use which ! –  Urukann Jun 22 '13 at 4:08
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 2 down vote accepted

Can I use の without sounding like a weirdo ?

Yes.

Is there a difference between the two ?

Yes. A question with の is usually asking about a reason, or following up on a piece of information. For example, 勉強しているの? means "are you studying?", and might have undertones of "is that why (e.g.) you can't come out tonight?", whereas 勉強している? is a straightforward yes/no question. Compare 勉強している ("I am studying") with 勉強しているのだ ("(it's because) I am studying").

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.