Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is there a disappointed or sad "boo" equivalent in Japanese?

Kind of like:

Person 1: "Hey man, can I borrow 10 dollars?" Person 2: "Nah I don't have any change." Person1: "Boo, now I don't have enough to go to the concert."

share|improve this question

Could always try ブー ;) –  ssb Jun 20 '13 at 6:09
Disappointed or sad...? Do you mean like トホホ? –  snailboat Jun 20 '13 at 6:18

@snailboat How about either? Since boo can be used for disappointment or sadness. Don't you think? –  Tek Jun 20 '13 at 6:19
I always thought "boo" in this context was more expressing disapproval (the sports "boo") and not sadness, but now this is becoming a question about English. –  Jesse Good Jun 20 '13 at 7:14
@Tek Even if it were boo hoo, I don't think it's a duplicate of that questions, as if you were to say シクシク at the beginning of a sentence the meaning would probably not be conveyed in the sense you're asking. –  jmac Jun 20 '13 at 7:23

2 Answers 2

I would say something like イヤァァ〜 or ワァ〜 should probably work OK.

share|improve this answer

I think you could say 「トホホ」. It's a lot like "boo hoo". I've heard that it's used more in fiction than in real life, but I think that's true of "boo hoo", too.

Chocolate pointed out on chat that you could also say 「あーあ」. Although I don't see entries for this interjection in any Japanese dictionaries, you can find it in Japanese-English dictionaries such as edict. Edict describes it this way:

oh no (used as an expression of despair or when giving up); sigh of boredom or disgust; oh boy

Another related word is 「がっかり」. Again, I'll quote edict:

feel disappointed; dejected; lose heart; feel emotionally drained; feel let down

Edict lists more parts of speech for this word than Japanese dictionaries, so I decided to link to it here. You can say, for example, がっかりした or がっかりだ. I think you can also use it as an interjection, though the only place I could find listing it that way was ALC: がっかり!

share|improve this answer

This is an awesome answer. Thank you so much! –  Tek Jun 22 '13 at 3:27

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.