Is there a disappointed or sad "boo" equivalent in Japanese?

Kind of like:

Person 1: Hey man, can I borrow 10 dollars?
Person 2: Nah, I don't have any change.
Person 1: Boo, now I don't have enough to go to the concert.

• Could always try ブー ;)
    – ssb
    Jun 20, 2013 at 6:09
    Disappointed or sad...? Do you mean like トホホ?
    – user1478
    Jun 20, 2013 at 6:18
  • @snailboat How about either? Since boo can be used for disappointment or sadness. Don't you think?
    – Tek
    Jun 20, 2013 at 6:19
    I always thought "boo" in this context was more expressing disapproval (the sports "boo") and not sadness, but now this is becoming a question about English.
    – Jesse Good
    Jun 20, 2013 at 7:14
    @Tek Even if it were boo hoo, I don't think it's a duplicate of that questions, as if you were to say シクシク at the beginning of a sentence the meaning would probably not be conveyed in the sense you're asking.
    – jmac
    Jun 20, 2013 at 7:23

2 Answers 2

I think you could say 「トホホ」. It's a lot like "boo hoo". I've heard that it's used more in fiction than in real life, but I think that's true of "boo hoo", too.

Chocolate pointed out on chat that you could also say 「あーあ」. Although I don't see entries for this interjection in any Japanese dictionaries, you can find it in Japanese-English dictionaries such as edict. Edict describes it this way:

oh no (used as an expression of despair or when giving up); sigh of boredom or disgust; oh boy

Another related word is 「がっかり」. Again, I'll quote edict:

feel disappointed; dejected; lose heart; feel emotionally drained; feel let down

Edict lists more parts of speech for this word than Japanese dictionaries, so I decided to link to it here. You can say, for example, がっかりした or がっかりだ. I think you can also use it as an interjection, though the only place I could find listing it that way was ALC: がっかり!

I would say something like イヤァァ〜 or ワァ〜 should probably work OK.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .