What are the Japanese equivalent phrases for the phrase "I know, right?!"

The scenario is my friend said 「PS4には最高だね」, and I'd like to respond with something akin to "I know, right?!" 「でしょ!?」 comes to mind but I'm unsure if it has the same effect.

"I know right!?"!? What does that mean in English? "でしょ" seems to be what you're looking for, but you have at least one typo in your friend's statement and I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, so it would help the answerer if you clarified your question.
    – Earthliŋ
    Jun 11, 2013 at 13:23
    I agree with this answer on ELU, which says that "I know, right?" suggests "empathy in addition to agreement". I'd add that it's both friendly and informal. (It's treated like a single word, sometimes slangily abbreviated to "Inorite?!" or similar.)
    – user1478
    Jun 11, 2013 at 14:39
    @Earthling Typo? You mean だぬ? It's Internet slang...
    – user1016
    Jun 11, 2013 at 16:43
    @Earthling くじけちゃダメだぬ。それに「だぬ」は流行りのネット用語なので覚えなくていいだぬ。
    – user1016
    Jun 11, 2013 at 20:49
    あ、「だぬ」が「だね」になってる・・・(@_@。 くじけそうだぬ。
    – user1016
    Jun 12, 2013 at 13:02

2 Answers 2

Yes, でしょ(う・っ)! is what many young people use (optionally prefixed with そう; but often without). I'm not sure if this usage is just among the younger generations (under 30), or extends to all ages, but I haven't often heard middle-aged or elderly people use it in the same vernacular (much like I don't often hear middle-aged/elderly people say "I know right (Inorite)?!" in English).

Additionally, "Inorite?!" seems to be more prevalent among young women and girls in English. My experience in Japan with でしょ! was similar, but that's not to say it's mainly used by お嬢さん everywhere.

A couple of other suggestions for expressing (enthusiastic) agreement:

• そうですとも!
  • まったくだ(よ)!
  • マジでそうよ
  • そのとおり!
  • 当然だ
  • 確かにそうだ

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .