Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Seems that I stuck with modifying a noun again, in the following sentence is it only「破壊し尽す」 modifying 「背徳の欲望」 or both verbs 「玩弄し、破壊し尽す」 ?

浮世離れした幼い少女を思うさま玩弄し、破壊し尽す背徳の欲望が掻き立てられてやまない。

Full sentences: http://s.vndb.org/sf/17/17217.jpg

share|improve this question
"浮世離れした幼い美少女を思うさま玩弄し、破壊し尽くす" modifies "欲望". –  marasai Jun 8 '13 at 15:42
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 4 down vote accepted

(([浮世離]{うきよばな}れした[幼]{おさな}い少女を)(思うさま)[玩弄]{がんろう}し、[破壊]{はかい}し[尽]{つく}す)([背徳]{はいとく}の)欲望が[掻]{か}き立てられてやまない。

浮世離れした幼い少女 is the object for both 玩弄し(#1?≒[弄]{もてあそ}ぶ... "toy with"? but probably physically, not mentally) and 破壊し尽す.
思うさま(≒思うがまま) modifies 玩弄し.
玩弄し and 破壊し尽す both modify 欲望.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Looking at the syntax, 玩弄し can't end a sentence, because if was the conjunction, a verb was missing, e.g. 玩弄するし.

Looking at the semantics, I'll try a one-pass translation over the sentence and see what happens.

{1:浮世} {2:離れ} {3:した} {4:幼い} {5:少女} を {6:思うさま}{7:玩弄}し、{8:破壊}し{9:尽す}背徳の欲望が掻き立てられてやまない。

{1:The mortal realm} {2:separation} {3:did} {4:childish} {5:girl} {6:the way she liked it} {7:mocking} {8:break stuff} {9:until exhausted}

Until here, it looks like> "[verb] the childlike girl who had seperated herself from the mortal realm played with her as [agent] liked, and eventually broke her".

浮世離れした幼い少女を思うさま玩弄し、破壊し尽す{1:背徳}の{2:欲望}が{3:掻き立てられて}{4:やまない}。

{1:immorality} {2:desire} {3:to stir up} {4:relentlessly}

"A relentless immoral desire stirring up inside the childlike girl who had separated herself from the mortal realm plagued her mind, and eventually broke her."

(Note: I have omitted 思うさま (=as one likes), as I can't make sense of an animate-subject property on an inanimate subject (玩弄 =mocking) in English.)

The other interpretation with the comma as sentence-separator could look like this:

"It mocked the girl (who had separated herself from the mortal realm) as it pleased. An immoral desire relentlessly stirred up."

The latter variant seems to miss a subject in the first part and an object in the second. The first variant combines both. So on grounds of syntactic and semantic coherence, I prefer the interpretation that the comma distributes over the verbs instead of over the sentences.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.