Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How do I ask questions about someone's intention like "do you plan on coming back?" In Japanese?

share|improve this question
Welcome to JLU! Straight translation questions are usually closed as off-topic. You could improve this question by adding your own tries at translating. You are welcome to ask these questions in chat, though. –  Earthliŋ Jun 6 '13 at 4:15
add comment

closed as off topic by Darius Jahandarie, dainichi, oldergod, istrasci, snailboat Jun 9 '13 at 1:25

Questions on Japanese Language Stack Exchange are expected to relate to the Japanese language within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

2 Answers

There are couple of forms to express intentions at least. I guess this three does not cover all story, but they are quite common.

1. Volitional form と思{おも}っています (or 思{おも}います) - This one is "I think I am going to" version.
  2. Plain form よていです - This one is "I plan to" version.
  3. Plain form つもりです - This one is also "I am going to" but there's more certainty to it. As if speaking person is really into it.

Volitional form creation rules. (See http://tangorin.com/ dictionary for verbs conjugation table.)

• U-verbs: ~u → ~ou (よむ → よもう, かえる → かえろう, いく → いこう, かう → かおう, たつ → たとう)
  • RU-verbs: ~る → ~よう (たべる → たべよう, ねる → ねよう)
  • exceptions: する → しよう, くる → こよう

If you'd like to ask someone about his intentions you just add か at the end as in any other sentence.

• この本{ほん}を読{よ}もうと思{おも}っています。 - I'm going to read this book. (Literally: I am thinking to go.)
  • この本{ほん}を読{よ}もうと思{おも}っていますか。 - Are you going to read this book? (Literally: Are you thinking to go?)
  • 買{か}い物{もの}に行{い}くよていです。 - I am going to go shopping. (Literally: I plan to.)
  • 買{か}い物{もの}に行{い}くよていですか。 - Are you going to go shopping? (As above, literally: Are you planning to?)
  • 空手{からて}を習{なら}うつもりです。 - I am going to learn karate. (Firm statement, high level of certainty.)
  • 空手{からて}を習{なら}うつもりですか。 - Are you going to learn karate? (Can be rude in some circumstances. Like, someone may get the feeling that you're questioning his intention.)
share|improve this answer
Allow me to nitpick with your last example. I think the nuance is not so much "pushing to do sth." but rather "questioning the intention". –  Earthliŋ Jun 8 '13 at 14:16

You may be right. Edited. –  JohnDoe Jun 8 '13 at 22:55
add comment

The relevant vocabulary you need is つもり. It expresses intention.

• また来るつもりだ (plan on coming back (literally it reads "again"))
  • 帰るつもりだ (intend to return (home))
  • 戻るつもりだ (intend to go back)

Then change the sentence to a question, either by dropping だ and adding a questioning tone, or by using ですか

share|improve this answer
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.