Can someone help me understand this 直打ち, as used in the following sentence:

URLを直打ちしてアクセスされた可能性があります。

(this is an error message in a log file)

My dictionaries have no idea what this word means. As far as I can tell this means something like:

"There's a possibility that there was a directly accessed URL"

So 直打ち means "direct access", 直 as in 直接 (directly) and 打 as in 打つ (hit)

Also regarding the reading, i asked a couple of Japanese people and got told both: じかうち and ちょくうち

any ideas which is correct in this context?

If would only pronounce it じかうち, and would only take it to mean "type directly", i.e. typing the URL manually instead of following a link/shortcut/favorite etc.
    – dainichi
    Jun 6, 2013 at 2:50

1 Answer 1

This is the prefix 直{じか} ("direct"), plus 打{う}ち, a noun form of the verb 打つ ("to hit"), which in this case refers to typing ("hitting" keys).

Although I couldn't find a dictionary entry for this exact term, it's described in the entry for IP直打ち in the IT用語辞典 on Weblio, which confirms that the reading is じかうち. This page also confirms that it means "direct(ly) input".

I think the message means there's a possibility the URL was typed directly rather than followed from a link. Since this is in a log file, perhaps it indirectly means there's no HTTP referrer information. (In which case, it might show up even in cases where the URL wasn't directly entered, like if you use a "favorite" link; cases like these might be why it says a possibility of being typed directly.)

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .