Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In an informal conversation with a new friend, I was discussing 擬態語. She offered the word もやもや as an example, meaning "to be horny (i.e.., desiring sex)." After clarifying the meaning, I left it at that. When I looked it up I see this definition:

もやもや moyamoya · モヤモヤ

adverb / noun or participle with aux. verb する → conjugation: hazy;  murky;  misty;  foggy;  fuzzy; —Onomatopoeia.

「あっぱれ!」天使はそういうと、稲妻が走るもやもやの煙の中へ消えていった。 "Done!" says the angel, and disappears in a cloud of smoke and a bolt of lightning.

adverb / noun / noun or participle with aux. verb する → conjugation: gloomy;  feeling depressed;  feeling sad; —Onomatopoeia.

In any case, it is apparent that Tangorin.com is making a mistake in calling this word onomatopoeia, as it is a mimetic word instead (apparently a Phenomime.)

Is it also a psychomime expressing the state of horniness or did I hear wrong? If I heard wrong does such a psychomime exist?

I would ask this friend directly, but I have a girlfriend and am wary of initating what could be a flirtatious conversation.

*Edit: Kotobank has this definition so I think I heard right:

色情がむらむらと起こるさま。「数々の通はせ文、清十郎も―となりて」〈浮・五人女・一〉

Is this expression common and easily understandable? Is the meaning different than むらむら?

share|improve this question
Are you sure it wasn't ムラムラ? –  ssb Jun 5 '13 at 17:00
もやもや has many different meanings... but one of those meanings could include what you are describing: (see definition 5 on this kotobank.jp entry.) –  summea Jun 5 '13 at 17:14
「むらむら」をhornyの意味で使うようになったのはけっこう近年です zokugo-dict.com/33mu/muramura.htm ...で、「もやもや」はあまりhornyの意味で使わないです。どちらかというと‌​「煙・湯気が立ち込める」「はっきり・すっきりしない」「気分が晴れない」などの意味で使うことが多いです。ちなみに、「もやもや病」っていう病気があってね・・・ ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/… (えっ、英‌​語で"Moyamoya disease"!?) –  Choko Jun 5 '13 at 21:20

@Chocolate maybe that should be an answer –  ssb Jun 6 '13 at 9:21

@ssb どおしようwwwww –  Choko Jun 10 '13 at 19:49

1 Answer 1

モヤモヤ is associated with a moist vagina "ready to receive" so to speak.

share|improve this answer

There are some variety of meaning of モヤモヤ but there is no meaning related to physical sexual things. –  Takumi Sueda Dec 2 at 15:53

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.