Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In an informal conversation with a new friend, I was discussing 擬態語. She offered the word もやもや as an example, meaning "to be horny (i.e.., desiring sex)." After clarifying the meaning, I left it at that. When I looked it up I see this definition:

もやもや moyamoya · モヤモヤ

adverb / noun or participle with aux. verb する → conjugation: hazy;  murky;  misty;  foggy;  fuzzy; —Onomatopoeia.

「あっぱれ!」天使はそういうと、稲妻が走るもやもやの煙の中へ消えていった。 "Done!" says the angel, and disappears in a cloud of smoke and a bolt of lightning.

adverb / noun / noun or participle with aux. verb する → conjugation: gloomy;  feeling depressed;  feeling sad; —Onomatopoeia.

In any case, it is apparent that Tangorin.com is making a mistake in calling this word onomatopoeia, as it is a mimetic word instead (apparently a Phenomime.)

Is it also a psychomime expressing the state of horniness or did I hear wrong? If I heard wrong does such a psychomime exist?

I would ask this friend directly, but I have a girlfriend and am wary of initating what could be a flirtatious conversation.

*Edit: Kotobank has this definition so I think I heard right:

色情がむらむらと起こるさま。「数々の通はせ文、清十郎も―となりて」〈浮・五人女・一〉

Is this expression common and easily understandable? Is the meaning different than むらむら?

share|improve this question
Are you sure it wasn't ムラムラ? –  ssb Jun 5 '13 at 17:00
もやもや has many different meanings... but one of those meanings could include what you are describing: (see definition 5 on this kotobank.jp entry.) –  summea Jun 5 '13 at 17:14
「むらむら」をhornyの意味で使うようになったのはけっこう近年です zokugo-dict.com/33mu/muramura.htm ...で、「もやもや」はあまりhornyの意味で使わないです。どちらかというと‌​「煙・湯気が立ち込める」「はっきり・すっきりしない」「気分が晴れない」などの意味で使うことが多いです。ちなみに、「もやもや病」っていう病気があってね・・・ ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/… (えっ、英‌​語で"Moyamoya disease"!?) –  Choko Jun 5 '13 at 21:20

@Chocolate maybe that should be an answer –  ssb Jun 6 '13 at 9:21

@ssb どおしようwwwww –  Choko Jun 10 '13 at 19:49

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.