Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

[一度]{いちど(ひとたび)} means once, but [一遍]{いっぺん} also mean once in sentences like once I did something or once I am a something.

常に means always in sentences like I always am a something or I always do something

But idiomatically, Once bitten twice shy is translated as [羹]{あつもの}に[懲]{こ}りて[膾]{なます}を[吹]{ふ}く in Japanese.

So if I want to say Once a thief, always a thief, is this phrase grammatical 盗人一度, 常に盗人?

What if I want to say Once a X, always a X? and X is a noun/noun phrase?

share|improve this question
There is also 一回 for "one time/once". –  Earthliŋ Jun 5 '13 at 15:49
ALC has an entry for Once a thief, always a thief: eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=once+a+thief%2c+always+a+thief –  snailboat Jun 5 '13 at 15:53
You might also opt for 泥棒 over 盗人... which apparently is read ぬすっと –  ssb Jun 5 '13 at 16:33
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 7 down vote accepted
+50

I believe you are making the mistake of attempting to replicate an English pattern in Japanese.

As snailboat points out, the idiomatic equivalent is as follows:

泥棒はいつまでたっても泥棒。/三つ子の魂百まで。/性格を変えることはできない。

And if you make this search,

http://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=Once+a+always+a

one finds that the nearest Japanese equivalent seems to be:

noun phrase はいつまでたっても noun phrase

If one uses the vocabulary you suggested, the nearest equivalent seems to be:

Once an actor, always an actor. 一度役者をやればやめられない。 Once an addict, always an addict. 一度中毒になるとやめられない。

share|improve this answer

anyone want to explain 三つ子の魂百まで? or link to an explanation? –  yadokari Jun 5 '13 at 19:45

@snailboat, thanks. but i still don't understand it. do you? –  yadokari Jun 5 '13 at 20:36
The spirit of a three-year-old child remains the same, even when they're a hundred years old. –  snailboat Jun 5 '13 at 20:49
sorry i kept reading 三つ子 as triplets. thanks. –  yadokari Jun 5 '13 at 20:59
add comment

For "Once a X, always a X", some suggestions would be 「Xはなおらず」 or 「XはXのまま」.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.