Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Can someone translate this? 私は学生で友だちはいしゃです。

share|improve this question

closed as too localized by Dono, snailboat Jun 5 '13 at 13:09

This question is unlikely to help any future visitors; it is only relevant to a small geographic area, a specific moment in time, or an extraordinarily narrow situation that is not generally applicable to the worldwide audience of the internet. For help making this question more broadly applicable, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Can you be more specific about what is giving you trouble? (Can you understand 私は学生です and 友だちはいしゃです?) –  snailboat Jun 5 '13 at 11:53
Straight "what is the translation of <sentence>" questions are likely to be closed as "too localised". (Add more specifics, as snailboat said, to avoid this). Googling this sentence in quotes should turn up a couple of links where it has already been discussed, e.g. here. –  nkjt Jun 5 '13 at 12:01
add comment

1 Answer

Google translate will give you: I am a student dentist friends. Since you can't ask in chat unless you have 20 reputation, here's the translation for you:

私は学生で : I am a student (and)

友だちはいしゃです。: my friend is a physician.

share|improve this answer
I don't think quoting Google Translate is helpful. By the way, if we see someone in chat with less than 20 reputation, we can add them to the auth list so they can talk :-) –  snailboat Jun 5 '13 at 13:09
My quote was to show that Google Translate is unhelpful indeed. But what shall we do about these "Helpppp!!!!"-kind of questions? The more popular japanese.stackexchange gets, the more of them will pop up. I'd like to move them to some kind of meta⁻¹ board. –  Jens Jensen Jun 5 '13 at 13:27
When it's possible to do so, I think we should help askers to improve their questions, by e.g. asking for more information. I'm not sure what you mean by an inverse-meta board, but you could start a discussion on Meta and explain what you mean and see what the community thinks. –  snailboat Jun 5 '13 at 13:32

I just did that: meta.japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/1041/… –  Jens Jensen Jun 5 '13 at 14:49
Ohh... Google先生 reads it as [歯医者]{はいしゃ}... ww –  Choko Jun 5 '13 at 14:56
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.