Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm transliterating my friend's names for fun and I'm having trouble figuring out the kana for the last name Curry. Would it be クリ? Which doesn't seem right... It confuses me that this is also an actual Japanese dish. lol.

Actually I'm also unsure about the last name Castañeda. I've done about a dozen names correctly by checking Google results and I would like some help with these two. Thanks in advance! :)

share|improve this question
Are you sure your last name is Curry? Jokes aside, you actually can decide yourself, and カレー is probably not how you want to transliterate the name. I'd think that ケリー, カリー, ケリ, カリ would be viable options. –  Earthliŋ Jun 3 '13 at 4:56

In that case my last name is Curry Castañeda :D And thanks. –  Tek Jun 3 '13 at 8:17
クリはやめといたほうがいいと思います(笑) –  Ash Jun 3 '13 at 10:46

@Ash 確かにww どっちかというと「カレー」「カレーライス」ですね –  Greek Fellows Jun 16 '13 at 10:42
show 1 more comment

1 Answer

up vote 10 down vote accepted

When you want to translate names, just look for some famous ones in Wikipedia.

ハスケル・カリー

share|improve this answer
Using the same method, Castañeda would be カスタニェーダ. (Source: ホルヘ・ウビコ) –  Stephan Jun 3 '13 at 7:17

You know, it's funny you say that because I looked up famous people with the name Riddhima and I just could not find any. I guess I subconsciously stopped looking for famous names because of that. –  Tek Jun 3 '13 at 8:14
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.