Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I would like some help understanding this sentence.

あの真面目できちんとした性格の母さん(が動詞をする)

I don't understand the した性格 part, because how can した modify "personality" which can't do anything?

I also don't understand the function of 真面目で, especially what the で particle means.

If I had to give a translation, I would say: Given her real personality, my mother ....

share|improve this question

eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=きちんとした&ref=sa –  yadokari Jun 2 '13 at 22:30
きちんとした modifies 性格... Try again ;) –  Earthliŋ Jun 2 '13 at 22:30

please provide the sentences before and after –  yadokari Jun 2 '13 at 22:30
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 2 down vote accepted

I don't understand the した性格 part, because how can した modify "personality" which can't >do anything?

きちんと on it's own is an adverb, for example きちんと掃除をする/do the cleaning properly.

It's one of those words you can add する to afterwards to make it into an adjective. For example: 母さんは性格がきちんとしている / (My) mother has a proper/orderly/impeccable personality.

This gets put in the past tense* when it is brought in front to modify the noun (性格): きちんとした性格の母さん / (My) mother who has an proper personality.

I also don't understand the function of 真面目で, especially what the で particle means.

Let's look at another sentence where it might be easier to understand: 真面目で誠実で優しい人/ a serious and sincere and kind person.

You connect na-adjectives together with で the same way you might connect i-adjectives together with ~くて, for example: 安くておいしいケーキ/cheap and tasty cake.

So 真面目できちんとした性格の母さん here means: (My) mother who has a stiff and proper personality.

*I swear there was a question about this and I wanted to link to it but I couldn't find it...

share|improve this answer

I hope this is helpful and understandable. It's so hard trying to put these concepts into words. At least for me anyway. I guess its both the fun and frustrating part of answering questions on here ^^; –  Ash Jun 2 '13 at 23:22
I don't like the part "add する to afterwards to make it into an adjective", because する is a verb, right? It can modify a noun just like an adjectival verb ("i-adjective"), but still it doesn't feel right to call it an adjective. –  Earthliŋ Jun 2 '13 at 23:27

I'm not sure.. It felt a bit weird to call it an adjective, but きちんとしている or きちんとした are basically describing the state of a something - that's pretty much what adjectives do right? What do people think? Is there a better way of phrasing it? –  Ash Jun 3 '13 at 0:04
Glad it helped :) I think it's very rare to see 真面目 as しんめんぼく. I just did some googleing now and it looks like しんめんぼく will often have を after it (ex.真面目を発揮する/show one's true colors) which might help you pick it out. –  Ash Jun 3 '13 at 0:16
I couldn't find it>>> Neither could I, but maybe it has something to do with "double-subject construction" that Tsuyoshi-Ito mentioned in his comment? japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/316/… –  Chocolate Jun 3 '13 at 13:31
show 1 more comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.