Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have come across the following sentence :

そのダンボ-ルゴミに出す分ですか?

I understand it means something like "Are you throwing out this cardbox?". But what does 分 mean in this context and why is it at that that position in the sentence ?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

そのダンボ-ルはゴミに出すですか?
Is that cardboard box the part you are putting out with the rubbish?

分 here means "part". Another example:

これは亜美ちゃんにあげる分だ。
This is the part I am giving to Abi. or
This is what I am giving to Abi. or
This is Abi's share.

share|improve this answer
But ゴミに出す分がある implies ゴミに出さない分もある, not implies ゴミに出す分が他にもある... –  Hyperworm Jun 2 '13 at 21:19

Thanks for the quick answer. –  alex_reader Jun 2 '13 at 21:20
Realized my → notation might have been confusing. Edited. What I mean is that 分 here tells you this box belongs to the "part" (of all things) that is for the rubbish, implying the presence of another "part" that is not for rubbish. It doesn't mean that the box is "part" of the rubbish (as in your bold), implying that there is another "part" that is also for the rubbish. As I understand it. –  Hyperworm Jun 2 '13 at 21:26
For perhaps clearer wording -- if I apply your bolded translation to the second example, it comes out as "This is part of the things I am giving to Abi" -- can you see how that differs (wrongly) from "This is Abi's share"? –  Hyperworm Jun 2 '13 at 21:37
@Hyperworm ああ、つまり「ゴミに出す分」というからには、どこかに「ゴミに出さない分」がある、ということで、「アミちゃんにあげる分」というには、どこかに‌​「自分の分」か「アミちゃん以外の人にあげる分」などがあるはず、ということですね。 –  Choko Jun 2 '13 at 21:51

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.