Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Cheers,

I'm teaching myself the language for a while now and I'm picking up on basic grammar structure. Combined with a dictionary, I can occasionally even make sense of a sentence!

But the full meaning of this one eludes me (as well as Google Translate and Bing Translator). It's a review of a game I worked on:

ゾンビを潰していくのは単純に楽しい。

It doesn't seem to be an error, even to a beginner.

From what I can tell, with help of Google Translate and OS X Japanese-English dictionary, the components seem to be:

• ゾンビ - zombie
  • を - object marker
  • 潰して - 'te' form of crush (Google Translate), destroy (Bing Translator), fit for (?!) (OS X dictionary)
  • いく - to go; "going to"
  • のは - I have no idea what this is; it seems to be composed of possessive "no" and as-for-# subject marker "wa"
  • 単純 - simplicity
  • に - location marker (here, in?)
  • 楽しい - enjoyable

So it seems to be a positive review; it seems to say "You will crush zombies [のは] (which is?) enjoyable in simplicity."

What does のは above mean? What nuance am I missing?

share|improve this question

@nkjt Thanks! I'll accept this if you post it as an answer. Aside from linking to the questions, I'd add "it nominalizes the verb, turning it into gerund form -- that is, into a noun" so that a future reader has an easier time understanding what I was confused about :-) –  Ivan Vučica May 31 '13 at 16:04

If those links clear it up for you, I think it's probably best just to close this as a duplicate of one of those questions, rather than repeating what's been said elsewhere. –  nkjt May 31 '13 at 16:10
@IvanVučica Note that in some languages, what is called "the gerund" does not actually function as a verbal noun, but only as an verbal adverb, so I think it's best to avoid the term. –  Darius Jahandarie May 31 '13 at 16:17

@IvanVučica Hi Ivan; good job on studying Japanese via English resources out of Croatia! You should get you hands on some Japanese grammar handbooks, like those of Seiichi Makino: A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar, as well as the Intermediate and Advanced ones. –  Kaz May 31 '13 at 20:16
show 2 more comments

1 Answer

up vote 2 down vote accepted

Interesting choice of beginner's literature.

の is not the possessive, but a nominalizer, i.e. it can make a verb (潰していく) into a noun (潰していくの), which you can then use as the topic of the sentence (using は). The analogous construction in English would be the gerund, i.e. to crush → crushing.

Also, に is not the location marker, but turns the na-adjective 単純 into an adverb.

Summarizing, we have

ゾンビを潰していくのは単純に楽しい。
Crushing zombies is simply enjoyable.

Watch out for particles that have multiple uses (の and に being the worst cases).

share|improve this answer
Note that the to-infinitive in English can also function as a verbal noun, which unfortunately makes the parallel a little less nice (but still understandable). –  Darius Jahandarie May 31 '13 at 16:19

@DariusJahandarie The small print in my answers has white font colour, so you might have missed it ;) How many perfect analogues between English and Japanese are there really? –  Earthliŋ May 31 '13 at 16:29

@Earthling Regarding the choice: well, I can't help but wonder what the "loyal Japanese audience" thinks about the game I worked on; if it makes for an interesting question on Japanese SE, better for me :-) Thanks for a great explanation! –  Ivan Vučica May 31 '13 at 16:34

@Earthling Any easily understandable reason why the いく appears here? –  Ivan Vučica May 31 '13 at 16:35
There was a question somewhere... here. –  Earthliŋ May 31 '13 at 16:44
show 3 more comments

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.