Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Sometimes there are situations when you'd like to describe someone saying something, but what exactly he says is less important than the rest of sentence and it can be easily ignored. Or in case when someone is saying some long and tedious speech and in your sentence you're just using "bla-bla-bla" instead. What's the word Japanese would use in such cases?

Other situation is when part of sentence is missing. In most cases during lessons or exercises. (Or when you heard something all but one word missing and describing it to someone.) Teacher then uses some substitute word like "something-something" instead, just to keep the pace when reading. What's the word Japanese would use in such cases?

share|improve this question
up vote 7 down vote accepted

The usual placeholder in Japanese is 「なになに」, although type-specific placeholders such as 「だれだれ」 and 「なんとかなんとか」 may be used.

share|improve this answer
Does this words cover both situations described in question? "Bla-bla-bla" can be used when speech you'd like to substitute is annoying or boring, while "something-something" seems to be neutral. – JohnDoe May 30 '13 at 18:11

You also have なんちゃら in the Kansai area.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.