Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Would it happen to be something roughly like "Even if I'm not busy"?

share|improve this question

Not exact duplicate but may be of help: japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/421 –  nkjt May 29 '13 at 16:38

Is there any more context available for where you found this phrase? ^^ –  summea May 29 '13 at 16:46

I transliterated it from a doujinshi. And since that part was very tiny and handwritten, I'm not 100% sure about the first character, but I couldn't find anything else that looked like that. It's also a phrase that's in use, according to Google. The additional text by the same character is: たまにはいいじゃない こんなにイイ天気なんだし Every once in a while I like [to come here]. When the weather is nice like this. (Hope I got that right) –  Storm Echo May 29 '13 at 16:51
Is there really a っ in your sentence ? –  oldergod May 30 '13 at 0:29
Yes. I just double checked. –  Storm Echo May 30 '13 at 9:10

1 Answer 1

用 here is close in meaning to 用事{ようじ}, indicating some task or purpose, sometimes translated "business". So in this case I believe it's "even if I don't have a particular reason/purpose/any business here...". Possibly in response to some other comment along the lines of "何の用?"

If the additional text from comments is all part of the same then the first two parts go together and the third is offering an additional reason:

用なんてなくってもたまにはいいじゃない - Even if I don't have any business (here), it's fine (to do this/come here/etc) sometimes.

こんなにイイ天気なんだし - Since the weather's so nice, and all...

share|improve this answer

Thank you! It makes a lot more sense now when you put it together with the other lines and add "here" or "this place". And yes, it was a response to "何しに来た?". –  Storm Echo May 30 '13 at 9:13

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.