Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I pretty much couldn't find this とこに in my dictionary so I was wondering what it means. Here's the context:


Also, is あんな a slang for あのな?

Edit. I forgot, my translation would be:

"The towel has fallen"

But yeah, I don't get the meaning of anna tokoni.

share|improve this question

「とこ」is essentially an abbreviated way to say「ところ」.

「あんな」is actually part of the 「こんな」、「そんな」、「あんな」list of words... and it typically refers to "that kind of thing" (or in this case, "that type of place" or "there".)

As far as the translation goes, thanks for adding that to your question! Perhaps this phrase could also be translated as:

There's a towel on the ground over there.

share|improve this answer
thank you very much summea c: I didn't get that とこ was a verb I thought it was an adverb together with に. Everything is clear now thanks (: – Dai May 28 '13 at 3:36
@Dai とこ is never a verb. In this case, it's a noun. – snailplane May 28 '13 at 3:44
@snailboat right とこ= floor in this case gha I just confused things thanks for telling me^^ – Dai May 28 '13 at 3:50
@Dai Although とこ can mean "floor" (in other usages) the actual word here for とこ is just a shortened version of ところ :) – summea May 28 '13 at 4:02
@summea: I understand your use of italics on "over there" to imply "[you mean that kind of place,] over there [?/!]" but correct me if I am wrong. – Tim May 28 '13 at 12:30

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.