Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I believe it has something to do with bullying. Also, I think I heard it as a verb: やさぐれる I can't seem to find much information about it. Is it slang?

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

It seems that most Japanese-to-English dictionaries have an entry for this (e.g., JMDict: http://tangorin.com/general/yasagure), and I'm not sure I can elaborate much more than what's on there:

noun:

1. running away from home —Slang.
  2. runaway (child)

If you're interested in the etymology, I recommend checking out the gogen-allguide entry for やさぐれる.

share|improve this answer

Yes, I thought it was that but a Japanese friend tried to explain it and made it sound like it was related to somebody being hit rather than running away. –  DaleyPaley May 27 '13 at 4:19
@DaleyPaley I'm not sure what he could be talking about. Even 大辞林 has no mention of hitting: ①〔本来は不良仲間の隠語。「やさ」は「家」,「ぐれ」は「はずれる」の意〕 家出をすること。また,家出人。②〔「ぐれ」の部分から連想した誤用によって広がった用法〕 投げやりになること。 Unless perhaps you misheard your friend who was actually saying 投げる rather than 殴る? –  Darius Jahandarie May 27 '13 at 4:24

OK, I guess it was just a misunderstanding on my part, or perhaps a localised vernacular. I will ask him again when I seehim. Anyway, thanks for your help. –  DaleyPaley May 27 '13 at 4:27
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.